Wednesday, October 14, 2009

settling in

I've decided that we're finally settling into life as a family of four. Now, this doesn't mean that the house is as clean or de-cluttered as I would like it, or that the floors get vacuumed or "sharked" every day, but we're getting there. We're eating dinner by 6:00 every night; it's a pretty healthy dinner, and everybody seems to be getting the love and attention they need.
We've been looking for some new recipes - my goal is to try one new recipe a week- and in doing so we found this great website: www.weelicious.com.
So far, we've made their corn chowder and veggie casserole and they've been really tasty. Delaney helped me make the corn chowder (Actually, she snacked on corn while I cooked), so I just KNEW she'd enjoy eating a nice warm bowl of it.
Nope. She flat out refused to eat even a bite of it. No idea why. But, we're going to be having it again this week, so we'll see how it goes over again.

I keep checking the calendar because I don't believe it, but Dash is going to be ten weeks old this Friday. And just after that, Delaney will be 19 months on the 18th. It's unreal how fast they get old. Some days are long for us, but when you take a step back, the week is over and the babies are closer to another big birthday.
At toddler gym today, my friend Christa was telling me about our friend Kristi's blog and a quote she has on her newest post: "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." It is really fun to take a step back and see how blessed we are to have two healthy happy babies.

Another quote that gets me through the rough days is "Count your blessings, not your worries". When I have a rough day and I feel like I'm up to my elbows in dirty diapers, I remember that my helpful and thoughtful husband is coming home to help me take a breather. I also remember that my rough days are by no means any more rougher than some of my friends have it. And definitely nowhere near as rough as some people have it. And then when I get that breather or little break, I sometimes feel lonely. It does make you think about how quiet this house will be in eighteen or nineteen years. It also helps me to remember to cultivate that relationship with that helpful, thoughtful husband so that the house isn't TOO quiet in eighteen or nineteen years. I've learned in the last year or so that it is understandable how couples can let their marriage slip out of their hands and it makes me more determined to be sure that doesn't happen to us.

Well, my little man is dreaming in his swing and it sounds like he's waking up looking for some momma love. This weekend we're planning on doing another train ride; this time on the Mount Ranier Scenic Railroad to take one last look at the fall leaves. They're beautiful this year and I'm enjoying very much the chances we've had to get out and find new ways to see them.

I'm leaving you with a picture of my sous chef tasting the rewards of our baking project for this week; chocolate chip snack cake.

Love to you all.

1 comment:

kate said...

This whole post makes me smile. Thanks for the perspective check as well. :)