Tuesday, November 11, 2008

it's been too long

It's been too long since I posted an entry..in that time, we closed and moved into our new home, I started work part-time, we took a family trip to Memphis, had our first Halloween, and Delaney learned to crawl, pull herself up and (just today) stand independently for about two seconds. She also cut her first tooth.
I'll review chronologically (as much as I can remember).
So we closed on our home in late September and we love it. We really love the neighborhood. It's really really quiet. We were renting a home in a much more dense neighborhood and while we loved the people, we loving the space and the quiet. Our home is about the size home we had in Vegas - but much bigger than our rental town home. We have four bedrooms and an office. Delaney's room is done in ladybugs and she's down the hallway from us. We have two floors and the office that has become a play room in on the first floor right by the entry. I think that if we didn't have Delaney and moved into a new home, it would be much more decorated. I'm having a hard time finding time to do much decorating. But..slowly but surely.
I started working part time for the local school district here and I really enjoy it. My only complaint is that I have too many kids to see (for those of you who don't know, I'm a speech therapist working in public schools) and not enough time to see them. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Friday mornings, I'm pretty much in therapy from the time that kids get to school to when they leave.
We got our first dog, Edgar about a month ago. He is a 35 pound standard Poodle terrier mix and he's about eleven months old. He is a very good dog. He's very trainable and sweet. He loves to play. We have to take him to the dog park twice a day on days he doesn't go to doggy day care (where he runs ALL day long). The cats are not so sure about him, but I think the house is big enough for all the personalities.
Trip to Memphis: We went to Memphis for five or six days recently. We went to see my grandparents on both my mom's and dad's side. We stayed with my Mammaw and Pappaw for a few days and took a day trip down to Alabama to see Pop and Jane. All the grandparents except for Mammaw had yet to meet Delaney, so it was very special. My dad and his wife also had not met Delaney yet.
Overall, we had a great time. But. I learned that I really don't miss Memphis. After being here in Olympia for two years, I'm not used to voiced prejudice and racism. This was also just before the election, so the subject of race was fairly out there. But I just felt weighed down by the feelings of others. Zap even noticed it and was uncomfortable. I will always love Memphis and enjoy going home for visits, but I love that we live here.
Things Delaney has learned: crawling (Nov. 4th -towards the TV which was on while she was awake-fairly unusual occurance - six and a half months) pulling up on stuff (I think the first week in November - before the acutal crawling) standing up on her own (today, Nov. 11th, for just about two seconds). Oh. She's also learned to sign "more" back to us.
Really, knowing how quickly they grow and learn new things I'm sure there's more she's learned. She's so much fun to watch. Every day is a little more fun.
Right now, Zap and I are trying to figure out what works best for our family in terms of how close to have our kids.
We're working on Delaney sleeping through the night. We're not sure if we want to do "sleep training" yet, but I think we're getting there.
We're also getting excited for Thanksgiving. We're hosting this year, so we'll have about 30 people over at our house. It's already a madhouse so I'm sure it will be a circus :)
I hope you're all caught up. I promise I'll be a better blogger.

:)

No comments: