Thursday, November 19, 2009

I know you don't want to think about it, but..

Christmas is on its way. And I know that when I was a kid, I enjoyed seeing how many presents were under the tree with my name on them. I want to pass on that excitement to our kids, but I also want to pass on a sense of gratitude. Plus, I really want the gifts they receive to be appropriate and items that, as a family, we are comfortable having in our home.
I recently read So Sexy, So Soon (http://www.amazon.com/So-Sexy-Soon-Sexualized-Childhood/dp/0345505077/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258699048&sr=1-1) and it really opened my eyes to everything around our day to day world that influences our children.
Here's my intentions I'd like to start after reading the book.
Number One: I'd like to try for a commercial free childhood - or as long as I can get it. Research shows that children do not understand commercials and what they're about until around the age of 8. They don't understand that the people in the ads are paid to look happy about the product. They don't understand why they want to eat at McDonald's; they just know that they see the "golden arches" on TV (which is my one grump with Sesame Street; McDonald's is a sponsor)

Number Two: I want to keep my little girl looking like a little girl as long as possible. This means no revealing clothes, no characters on the clothes, no glitter jeans, etc. I'm going to think about if the clothing draws attention to her body or to her face.

Number Three: I want the toys that she is given or that she receives to be imagination needed, open-ended play toys. Play kitchens, stacking blocks, puzzles, etc. I'd like to stay away from characters (Sesame Street excluded as she is in love with Elmo) as long as possible. I want her and Dash to be able to create their play, stories, and activities.

I realize that these are really lofty goals but I think that if I can achieve 80-90% of it, I will be really proud.

I also have a few ideas on how to work on gratitude for gifts..more on that later :)

1 comment:

MamaSophia said...

I think these are great ideas! Go mama :-) I totally agree, accept with the sesame street also. I just bought Koben an Elmo doll, bc that's all he kept saying when we were looking at toys in Target!